Storyborder . . .

So I’ve been working away in iClone 7 creating 3 rather large scenes, i.e., 3.6 & 1.5 Gb respectively. 

The problem is the IRay render plug-in I bought to render fabulous scenes is taking too many resources on my tiny 6GB Nvidia graphics card. What is sad is that when you look at the resources being used to render, most of the 64Gb (approx. 55Gb free) on the motherboard is being completely ignored. What I find alarming is that the same objects render instantly in DAZ 3D so I’m not sure why Reallusion is “crapping” out by telling you to use a “render farm”. Huh? Isn’t that where they are suppose to help you, not “refer” you to someone else when they should step in an offer some kind of deal since they introduced the stupid plug-in in the first place. Isn’t Reallusion concerned that they are going around in circles as they’ve had issues since iClone 5 with their rendering engines that continues today. Very disappointing to say the least.

So I decided to render those scenes as PhysX FINAL RENDER, ignoring IRay. I also turned off all the options and it powered through with the built-in render engine creating HD images. Like all ideas that take time to develop, I was not happy with several attempts, so I kept trying and seeing what would happen. The final renders were over 100Mb each, so I re-did the render but this time I changed the Image Sequence Frame Rate to “1”. In other words, what I ended up with was an image for every second instead of 30 frames per second. What I find fascinating is instead of 100’s of frames, one scene was chopped down to 88 frames, so quite a savings. The other bonus is that the scene tells you how long it is, in this case, “88” seconds long!

After watching this animation, it was like an “animatic” which allowed me to think that perhaps I could use this as the storyboard instead of wasting time on scenes that might not be included in the story. So I did a search on GNU free software storyboard and “Storyboarder” show up. I d/l, installed and watched a few YouTube videos on how to use it. After several attempts, I was able to load those 88 images and I created a PDF of the scene as well as an animated GIF which reduced the file down to 78Mb.

I also printed the PDF out and at first I thought what a waste of paper. It was only when I looked through the print out did I discover how interesting it was to look at the scene in a different form. So I believe I will be doing this for all of my scenes in the movie so I can post them up on a wall to review. So don’t be too disappointed when you seem to be spinning your wheels and not getting anywhere. But trust me, you are and don’t give up.

Click the Storyboard page to see animatic.

1110 . . . ds